Machine Learning is
in our DNA.
Machine Learning is
in our DNA.
Our stories are as diverse as the world’s. And delivering quality stories to the world is our business.
The engineering problem:
How do you deliver the world’s most important information to the people who need it automatically, in real-time? How do you determine what makes a quality story or what people want to read? This is a problem both on a planetary and individual scale, and requires many different disciplines to solve.
- 10M+ articles analyzed, categorized and evaluated per day
- Billions of channel interactions and article pageviews generated per month
- 50% DAU/MAU (users love our newsfeeds more than mobile games)
- 30M+ downloads
- 300+ US publisher partners
- $90M in funding from GREE, Atomico, Globis Partners, Mixi, Development Bank of Japan
- Founded: June 2012
- Summary: SmartNews is the news discovery app designed to deliver the top trending stories that matter most using machine-learning
- Mission: Delivering the world’s quality information to the people who need it
- Number of Employees: 100+ in Japan and U.S.
- Users: 30 million downloads
- Investors: Atomico, GREE, Mixi, Social Starts, Globis Capital Partners, Development Bank of Japan
- Funding: Series D, $90M raised to date
- News can change the world – but not if it isn’t read. Out of tens of millions of articles and tweets, how can we pick the top ten that matter the most, right now? How can we make it easier and more engaging for everyday people to get to the stories they really want to read? How can we create a sustainable model for publishers? How can we avoid the filter bubble of personalization and widen people’s interests and knowledge of the world?
- As Spotify did for music and Hulu did for TV, SmartNews is creating an entirely new model for the news industry. Our Google-sized mission is to evaluate (in real-time) what makes a quality story and deliver the stories that matter to people who need it.
- SmartNews is powered by machine learning algorithms that evaluate more than 10 million articles and social signals a day to deliver only the most interesting and important stories. SmartNews intelligently categorizes these stories into business, technology, lifestyle, entertainment, sports, and world tabs. A built-in channel store allows users to add official news channels from top publications including USA Today, TIME, VICE, Fast Company, and many others.
- The free app pre-loads and caches news stories, allowing you to read in places with spotty internet connection or no internet connection at all (such as remote locations, trains, and airplanes) – it is simply the fastest news app available.
- SmartNews has strong partnerships in place with news content providers and publishers with a very unique model that allows publishers to keep 100% of article traffic and ad revenue.
- These relationships, coupled with an elegant design and user experience, a high degree of customizability, and an app that requires no internet connection, puts SmartNews at the top of the news category – with an incredibly high mobile engagement rate that rivals Twitter and Facebook.
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org